[ipxe-devel] Diskless Cilent Centos via iSCSI

brent s. bts at square-r00t.net
Mon Feb 15 19:34:35 UTC 2021

On 2/15/21 14:27, Michael Brown wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> For a Red Hat installation, I can tell the initrd where to find the rest
> of the installer by adding e.g.
>
>   inst.repo=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8/BaseOS/x86_64/os
>
> to the kernel command line.
>
> Is there a direct equivalent for Debian/Ubuntu?  I've tried previously
> and given up, because it seemed as though the only option was to create
> a preseed.cfg file (which, in turn, seemed to require specifying a large
> number of unnecessary other values in addition to the single repository
> URL).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael

For iSCI/SAN, I did find this: https://wiki.debian.org/SAN/iSCSI

The external article it links to is dead, but can be found at
https://web.archive.org/web/20160419061242/http://linux.netapp.com/docs/debian/iscsi-sanboot-configuration-guide

But this is for installation.

For booting from iSCIS/SAN, it seems they don't support it:

"
Booting Debian with iSCSI root disk

There is no way to do this with the standard Debian initrd. The
init4boot[0] project supplies the needed infrastructure (especially an
adapted initrd). Standard PXE / tftp boot with iSCSI root and XEN guest
systems with iSCSI root are supported.

[0] http://sourceforge.net/projects/init4boot
"

Best I can do, but I will say that it's a good idea to mount a regular
install ISO from a distribution and poke around their syslinux/grub/etc.
configurations on the image as that gives you a good idea of some kernel
commandline hints you'd need.

--
brent saner
https://square-r00t.net/