[ipxe-devel] dnsmasq WAS: A few good questions...

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Fri Dec 27 22:14:50 UTC 2019

On Fri, Dec 27, 2019,  IT1 Stuart Blake Tener USNR wrote:

> IPXE Developers,

Welcome to this mailinglist,

> I am new to IPXE and wanted to find out a few things.

I, and probably more people, like to have matching subject lines.

> I am running Gargoyle router firmware which is inclusive of and
> leverages dnsmasq as part of its overall software amalgam. As such, I
> wish to now implement PXE and IPXE booting in order to be able to boot
> ISO images directly.
>
> I see ISC DHCPD and Microsoft DHCP Server instructions on the website,
> but has anyone developed instructions speaking to a dnsmasq
> configuration and its requisites?

Dnsmasq works for me. Webpage https://ipxe.org/appnote/premature
is unlikely in sync with what I have in production.

> I also have some more general questions about IPXE:
>
> It can boot ISOs directly, if so, what kinds?
>
> Can said ISOs be UEFI Secure Boot ISOs?
>
> I saw all this information building ROMs for VMware, but is there any
> issue with VMware just booting the IPXE ISO and going from there? What
> is the advantage to using all those ROMs? I do realize that compiling
> ROMs in general allows the insertion of customized scripts, but absent
> that, what advantage is there over using the ISO image?
>
> Is there an actual manual for the product (a PDF I can print out and use
> in an area where I do not have internet access)?
>
> Thank you and happy holidays to everyone.
>
> NOTE 1: I have read the documentation on the website, did I miss
> something? Maybe, but I read it.
> NOTE 2: The user forum never responded to me trying to register for it.

Might due the server migration that is currently work in progress.
A retry is likely to be needed.

> Very Respectfully,
>
> Stuart B. Tener, N3GWG
> Computer Scientist / FCC Licensed Radio Operator

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
Leven en laten leven