[ipxe-devel] A few good questions...

Christian Nilsson nikize at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 17:59:23 UTC 2019

On Fri, 27 Dec 2019 at 15:27, IT1 Stuart Blake Tener, USNR <
stuart.tener at bh90210.net> wrote:

> IPXE Developers,
>
> I am new to IPXE and wanted to find out a few things.
>
> I am running Gargoyle router firmware which is inclusive of and leverages
> dnsmasq as part of its overall software amalgam. As such, I wish to now
> implement PXE and IPXE booting in order to be able to boot ISO images
> directly.
>
> I see ISC DHCPD and Microsoft DHCP Server instructions on the website, but
> has anyone developed instructions speaking to a dnsmasq configuration and
> its requisites?
>
> I also have some more general questions about IPXE:
>
> It can boot ISOs directly, if so, what kinds?
>
> Can said ISOs be UEFI Secure Boot ISOs?
>
> I saw all this information building ROMs for VMware, but is there any
> issue with VMware just booting the IPXE ISO and going from there? What is
> the advantage to using all those ROMs? I do realize that compiling ROMs in
> general allows the insertion of customized scripts, but absent that, what
> advantage is there over using the ISO image?
>
> Is there an actual manual for the product (a PDF I can print out and use
> in an area where I do not have internet access)?
>
> Thank you and happy holidays to everyone.
>
> NOTE 1: I have read the documentation on the website, did I miss
> something? Maybe, but I read it.
> NOTE 2: The user forum never responded to me trying to register for it.
>
> Very Respectfully,
>
> Stuart B. Tener, N3GWG
> Computer Scientist / FCC Licensed Radio Operator

The forum seems to be down currently,
The FAQ has answers to at least some of your questions, the google cache of
the page should be able to serve as a workaround:
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:2buIA9qP6jEJ:https://forum.ipxe.org/showthread.php%3Ftid%3D5948+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=se

and about dnsmasq, there are posts on the forum about that as well.

You should get email for registering on the forum, first post is moderated
(this is also covered by the FAQ)