[ipxe-devel] A few good questions...

IT1 Stuart Blake Tener, USNR stuart.tener at bh90210.net
Fri Dec 27 14:26:19 UTC 2019

IPXE Developers,

I am new to IPXE and wanted to find out a few things.

I am running Gargoyle router firmware which is inclusive of and
leverages dnsmasq as part of its overall software amalgam. As such, I
wish to now implement PXE and IPXE booting in order to be able to boot
ISO images directly.

I see ISC DHCPD and Microsoft DHCP Server instructions on the website,
but has anyone developed instructions speaking to a dnsmasq
configuration and its requisites?

I also have some more general questions about IPXE:

It can boot ISOs directly, if so, what kinds?

Can said ISOs be UEFI Secure Boot ISOs?

I saw all this information building ROMs for VMware, but is there any
issue with VMware just booting the IPXE ISO and going from there? What
is the advantage to using all those ROMs? I do realize that compiling
ROMs in general allows the insertion of customized scripts, but absent
that, what advantage is there over using the ISO image?

Is there an actual manual for the product (a PDF I can print out and
use in an area where I do not have internet access)?

Thank you and happy holidays to everyone.

NOTE 1: I have read the documentation on the website, did I miss
something? Maybe, but I read it.
NOTE 2: The user forum never responded to me trying to register for it.
  Very Respectfully,

Stuart B. Tener, N3GWG
Computer Scientist / FCC Licensed Radio Operator