[ipxe-devel] BOOT FAIL ---Failed to alloc highmem for initrds.

dangdehua dangdehua at huawei.com
Thu May 18 08:20:21 UTC 2017

Hello, I've recently came across this problem when trying to boot an initrd file of Suse 12.1 with EFI bios platform.

The snapshot shows:  "Failed to alloc highmem for initrds"

In fact, the size of initrd file is about 470 MB.

If I change he initrd size from 470 MB to 200MB. It's successful to boot OS.

So, my question is:

1.    About initrd file size, is there some limitation for OS boot?

2.    If the initrd file size is big about 1GB, how to process the case?

Thanks.