[ipxe-devel] BOOT FAIL ---Failed to alloc highmem for initrds.

Christian Nilsson nikize at gmail.com
Thu May 18 17:39:48 UTC 2017

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 10:20 AM, dangdehua <dangdehua at huawei.com> wrote:

> Hello, I've recently came across this problem when trying to boot an
> initrd file of Suse 12.1 with EFI bios platform.
>

> The snapshot shows:  “Failed to alloc highmem for initrds”
>

> In fact, the size of initrd file is about 470 MB.
>

> If I change he initrd size from 470 MB to 200MB. It’s successful to boot
> OS.
>

> So, my question is:
>
> 1.    About initrd file size, is there some limitation for OS boot?
>
> 2.    If the initrd file size is big about 1GB, how to process the case?

Hi,

“Failed to alloc highmem for initrds” is what you see from the linux
kernel? If not what is the ipxe.org error url that is show together with
that message?

Which kernel version does Suse 12.1  use?, Could it be a known bug in that
kernel as seen here:
http://forum.ipxe.org/showthread.php?tid=7756&pid=11699#pid11699  (I can
never find another nice post that mcb30 made about the issue with a link to
patch for a fix that was applied to the linux kernel tree)

This is probably not a size issue, but rather random corruption in the
linux kernel when loading the initrd.

/Christian