[ipxe-devel] Windows bootup problems after successfull wimboot-iscsi setup

Ivan Krutskikh stein.hak at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 10:44:50 UTC 2014

Hi,

Thou this is not technically speaking a ipxe question, but I think this is
an appropriate place to get some help with it.

So I am developing a Linux/Windows diskless boot system based on ipxe,
zfsonlinux and python. Linux part works like a bliss with multiple distros,
different hardware e.t.c.

At first I made some progress with windows 7 too, using pure cd-rom setup
for single station ( a supposed to be  a Microsoft supported scenario) and
a ccboot client v2.0 for injecting multiple nic drivers for different
hardware.

I used the same booting script for both:
eg:

#!ipxe

set keep-san 1
set netX/gateway 0.0.0.0
sanboot iscsi:192.168.0.242:::1:iqn.2014-06.bootup.mtt:testinstall

But after some time ( maybe some windows updates as well, hard to tell) the
whole windows booting sequence broke and I cannot fix it or reproduce it
with fresh install. All windows bootups end with hang windows logo followed
by
bsod 7e and a reboot. As far as I can tell, this is because windows
couldn't find the driver for main hdd storage. ( basically, it is the lan
driver + msicsi)

After some experiments with never ccboot versions, I tried a different
approach based on http://ipxe.org/howto/winpe. So I made a custom 3.0
winpe, booted it with ipxe script:

#!ipxe

set netX/gateway 0.0.0.0
sanhook  iscsi:192.168.0.242:::1:iqn.2014-06.bootup.mtt:testinstall
kernel http://192.168.0.242:8080/boot/wimboot
initrd http://192.168.0.242:8080/media/bcd BCD
initrd http://192.168.0.242:8080/media/boot.sdi boot.sdi
initrd http://192.168.0.242:8080/media/boot.wim boot.wim
boot

My nic was perfectly recognized and configured, windows 7 setup was able to
see my iscsi drive and installed windows just like it would on a local hdd.
But after reboot- same old story. Bootup hangs, BSoD 7e. Tried launching a
local VM from the same media, which was used to provide iscsi target- setup
finished succesfull, new desktop welcomed me.

At this point I'm out of ideas. What differs installing windows by winpe to
iscsi from the same scenario with cdrom? Not to mention there are a number
of tutorials on the internet suggesting the second method for client
provision.

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks in advance.