[ipxe-devel] DHCP failing on Intel 82579V Gigabit [8086:1503] after PXE boot]

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Tue Mar 5 15:29:25 UTC 2013

On 05/03/13 15:23, Andrew Bobulsky wrote:
> I know we've visited this subject probably a dozen times on the list
> in the past couple of years, but I was under the impression that there
> is a build target that will allow for UNDI fallback, something like
> ipxe--undi.kpxe.

It might work sometimes, but it will fail in corner cases.  In
particular, the .kpxe prefix will leave the underlying UNDI driver
loaded, but the native driver will reset the NIC hardware, destroying
all state created by the UNDI driver.  If the UNDI driver ever regains
control (e.g. if we attempt to exit from iPXE), then Bad Things may happen.

> It's a little ironic that I've run out of machines to test this
> though... You've simply added native drivers for all the unsupported
> NICs I've had :)

I would celebrate with cake, had I not just eaten one.  :)