[ipxe-devel] DHCP failing on Intel 82579V Gigabit [8086:1503] after PXE boot]

Robin Smidsrød robin at smidsrod.no
Tue Mar 5 15:31:49 UTC 2013

On 05.03.2013 15:31, Michael Brown wrote:
> On 12/01/13 10:25, Richard Moore wrote:
>> I made a little override patch (attached) to fix the PXE booting on the
>> new HP laptop hardware (XX70x's) which seems to have solved the problem
>> in our environment.
>>
>> I thought I would post it as other people had had problems and no better
>> solution has been forthcoming.
>
> In the absence of any prospect of a better solution, I have produced a
> generalised version of this patch:
>
>   http://git.ipxe.org/ipxe.git/commitdiff/9373ca8
>
> Patches to add PCI IDs for other known-broken devices are welcome.

I just want to confirm that the 8086:1503 (Intel 82579V) is present on
my motherboard (ASUS P8Z68-V PRO GEN3 fw v3402) and these new patches to
blacklist interrupts didn't cause any damage/breakage. From what I can
tell I can't notice any slowdowns either (using a simple stopwatch
approach).

> In the longer term, I think the optimal solution would be to fix up
> ipxe.kpxe (which isn't currently a sensible build target) so that it can
> use a native driver if present, falling back to the UNDI driver if
> necessary.  This would allow native iPXE drivers to be used instead of
> the UNDI driver where possible, which should obviate the need for this
> hack.

I would very much like to know what is missing for this thing you
suggest here to actually work. Because it does seem to be an even better
"default" chainloader than undionly.kpxe currently is, as it would
include fallback if native drivers aren't available.

-- Robin