[ipxe-devel] running embedded script got iPXE into a reboot loop

ttzweb at gmail.com ttzweb at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 09:18:47 UTC 2011

All,

I am trying to include a embedded script into my ipxe.iso
image. But when I boot the ipxe.iso inside my VMware, it seems to
fall into a reboot loop.  It keeps  restating after showing the

    "iPXE initialising devices .."

on the console.

The iPXE is from the top of the Git(few days old) and I use the
following make line to include the embedded script:

    make bin/ipxe.iso EMBEDDED_IMAGE=boot.ipxe

the vanilla build of ipxe.iso w/o the embedded script boots okay
and I can break into the shell prompt.  The boot.ipxe is a very simple
script looks like the following:

    #!ipxe
    #
    dhcp
    chain http://192.168.X.XXX/boot
    #exit 0

I can run both dhcp and chain commands by hand with no problem. And
I tried applying "exit 0" and "exit 1" at the end of the script
that didn't seem to make any difference. I also turned on
    #define IMAGE_SCRIPT
in config/general.h.

Anyone has any idea/hint on what I might have done wrong?

Thanks!

Tom