[ipxe-devel] ipxelinux.0

Dylan's PCs dylanspcs at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 14:39:33 UTC 2011

On 03/04/2011 02:23 AM, zwerschke.bkft at gmx.de wrote:
> Hi, Dylan's PCs
>
> On Thu Mar 3 06:30:29 GMT 2011, Dylan's PCs wrote:
> |On 03/03/2011 12:59 AM, Martin Zwerschke wrote:
> |>  1)  on Windows-desktop-versions there  seems to be no good (free)
> |>  DHCP-Server, that offers DHCP-user classes
> |>  2) DHC-user-classes are a bit complicated to configure
>
> |I have to call Bull here.
> |http://www.hanewin.net/
>
> Hanewin DHCP-Server is not free. It is shareware, after 30 days you have to pay for it.
Bah, when I last used it it was free for private use. I hadn't noticed
that they changed it to a buy-it license for private use as well.
--removing THAT bookmark--

> |Even has instructions (written for gPXE, but meh)
> |http://www.hanewin.net/remote-boot.htm
>
> The instructions do not cover gPXE or iPXE - only etherboot.
> Instructions do not cover how to configure userclass to break the infinite boot chain resulting from chainloading iPXE /gPXE
Erm, I thought gPXE was just Etherboot renamed? As for the userclass...
I have those instructions somewhere in my bookmarks. I used it in the
past when I built a Folding at Home farm for a friend who refused to use Linux.

> The advantage of ipxelinux.0 iş, that it already contains pxelinux.0 and this way can directly continue to boot the kernel. It can be used in mixed environments, where gPXE-clients and pure-PXE-clients live side by side.
> No DHCP-userclass-dependant decision to either load gPXE/iPXE (for pure-PXE-clients) or pxelinux.0 (for gPXE/iPXE /clients) have to be done this way.
>
> I hopę that ipxelinux.0 gets soon included in the syslinux package .
>
> cheerş Martin
Yeah, no argument there. I just knew it could be done, and I wouldn't
have said anything if I had known that HaneWIN wasn't free anymore. So
disappointing, but seen more and more these days. Oh well, I'm still
trying to get back into this and catch up on all the new developments in
the past 4 years.