[ipxe-devel] iPXE with Virtualbox

Pete I. Eby ebypi at ornl.gov
Mon Jan 24 15:44:46 UTC 2011

Hi Andrew, Michael, and Matthew,

With this new information I did a bit more testing with Virtualbox.
First, I upgraded to the newer version of VirtualBox (4.0.0). I then
tried booting using an iPXE 1.0.0 .iso and of course it locked up when

I then selectively changed the CPU settings. I thought perhaps the NX
and / or VT cpu features might be contributing this to.

Turns out that if you disable VT support, it will allow it to boot. (It
also loads with with NX enabled.)

The intricacies of VT and it's relation to unreal mode are foreign to me
honestly, but at least this allows a temporary work around.

Cheers,
Pete