[ipxe-devel] iPXE with Virtualbox

Andrew Bobulsky rulerof at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 15:02:41 UTC 2011

Hello Matthew, Michael,

Fine work on the bug hunting, Matthew!  Posts like yours are always
fun to read, particularly because I doubt I ever would have tracked
that down myself :)

Michael, I've been doing some research recently on x86 processor
modes, and while I couldn't begin to offer any solutions due to my
noobliness, some quick Google-Fu brought up these:
http://forums.devshed.com/embedded-programming-163/unreal-mode-issue-672039.html
*and* http://forum.sysinternals.com/topic21792_post115156.html

While the threads are approaching a year old and appear unresolved,
it's interesting that they're saying (I think) that access to expanded
memory seems to work fine /without/ first setting up the CPU registers
while PE=1.  Neat.  Obnoxious, but neat.

I guess the real question is if this is a VirtualBox bug, feature, or
both.  Praise the almighty Oracle ;)

Might it be possible to probe SMBIOS before attempting to set up the
CPU, and if VirtualBox is detected, skip that setup?  ...Not that I've
any clue if it would work, of course.  I've only been exploring x86
modes and peeking at assembly for a few weeks now :)

Best Regards,
Andrew Bobulsky