[ipxe-devel] Curious routing problem with iPXE

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Thu Feb 10 12:45:19 UTC 2011

On Thursday 10 Feb 2011 01:46:36 Andrew Bobulsky wrote:
> The only workaround I'm aware of is to establish a default gateway
> sometime *after* the iSCSI connection is in place and the client's
> routing table is initially populated.  If you boot with no default
> gateway, you can then add one once the OS is online, and the
> trickle-down from the iBFT won't occur.

I suspect this should be possible to work around in sanbootconf.  We should be
able to configure the TCP/IP stack with the correct gateway address (as we
already do) and then replace the gateway address in the iBFT with the target
IP address (assuming that it really *is* in the same subnet).  That should
cause Windows to set up the iSCSI target route 'correctly'.

For Windows versions where the boot-capable iSCSI initiator includes its own
iBFT driver (iscsibp.sys), i.e. every version other than XP, it would also be
necessary to ensure that sanbootconf.sys loads before iscsibp.sys.