[ipxe-devel] (no subject)

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Sun Aug 28 09:31:49 UTC 2011

On Friday 26 Aug 2011 15:55:54 Robin Smidsrød wrote:
> On 2011-08-26 09:12, rich wrote:
> > I tried twice to add myself too and it wasn't activated, I think I chose
> > a username of 'richud'
>
> I can't seem to find that username anymore, so you'll have to try again.
>
> Michael: I have not received any kind of request-to-moderate-activation
> emails or anything like that. Was that what you had in mind?
> To ask in another way: What kind of workflow did you have in mind for
> new users wanting to register and for forum moderators/administrators to
> minimize the amount of spam getting through?

I don't have a strong preference.  I noticed that the volume of spam was
increasingly greatly and tried changing the activation setting from "verify
email" to "require approval", assuming that MyBB would do something sensible.
Evidently this wasn't a sensible strategy.  :)

> My personal favorite would be to allow people to auto-activate, but that
> there would be a forced moderation of any new user's first post. They
> would not be able to post any more until that post was moderated.
>
> Not sure if MyBB does that, but that seems like a fairly foolproof way
> to weed out the spammers.

If it can do that, that would seem ideal.

Feel free to experiment with settings!