[ipxe-devel] iPXE download protocols via EFI effort

Geoff Lywood glywood at vmware.com
Wed Aug 10 19:13:06 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----

For the record, I did put some amount of thought into trying to make iPXE expose a protocol that is defined in the UEFI spec. The options were:

EFI_LOAD_FILE_PROTOCOL: This is unsuitable because it involves loading from a device path. It is difficult to pack a URL into a device path without either defining a new device path node type, or breaking the rules around device path file name formatting (which prohibit a "//"). In either case the client would have to be modified. Additionally, at least for VMware, we wanted a smooth progress bar, and the all-or-nothing nature of this protocol meant loading several hundred megabytes over the network with no user feedback.

EFI_SIMPLE_FILE_SYSTEM_PROTOCOL: This does not work because it requires the ability to seek and such. TFTP just doesn't support the operations necessary.

EFI_PXE_BASE_CODE_PROTOCOL: This one probably makes the most sense, but it's still not a good fit. This protocol is very TFTP- and MTFTP-oriented, and it would be a bit of a hack to try to slip, say, https support in under the covers. Some operations on this protocol don't make as much sense under iPXE, for example what does a "Discover" operation do, given that iPXE supports multiple NICs? And it seemed like a lot of work to expose things like the iPXE routing table, ARP cache, and cached DHCP packets up through this mechanism.

- Geoff