[ipxe-devel] iPXE download protocols via EFI effort

Jarrod Johnson jarrod.b.johnson at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 16:32:24 UTC 2011

Forgive me if I suggest some nonsensical stuff, I confess to still not fully
understand all the aspects of EFI.

So as I continue, I toyed with the idea of installing the ipxe download
protocol to the loaded image device handle instead of making a brand new
handle .  However, this seemed to confuse VMware's boot loader somehow, and
it failed to use the ipxe download protocol correctly when I tried that.
 What might VMware's boot loader be assuming that is broken when the same
device handle that was used to load iPXE is used to load bootx64.efi after
installing the ipxe download protocol?

The reason why I was tempted is that would preserve some things currently
lost on the boot device handle since the new boot device handle has only the
ipxe download protocol itself right now.  For instance, being able to call
device path protocol on the boot handle to extract mac address instead of
relying upon argument list.  Also, the ability for something like elilo's
netfs to be modified to use ipxe_download and fallback to pxebasecode with a
lot of the non-transfer code left intact and not duplicated.  I suppose
netfs.c could be modified to search first for the ipxe download protocol
handle, and then add a call to the download protocol to get the original
boot handle, but I think that could be messy compared to the simplicity of
using the same handle for all the protocols.  The alternative would be to
write a whole new module (my first thought) with some amount of duplicated
code and such.

If I cannot really reuse the boot device handle, then I'll have to flesh out
the new handle in a few ways.  Cloning the loaded image device path and
either adding a way to get the 'real' boot handle or else duplicate data as
needed (though the latter means potentially a lot of work and without
knowing what confuses vmware's boot loader, I'd be likely to induce the same
behavior anyway.