[ipxe-devel] iPXE download protocols via EFI effort

Jarrod Johnson jarrod.b.johnson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 13:29:53 UTC 2011

On my tree, I'm porting forward some changes from Geoff Lywood to give iPXE
the ability to install EFI protocols that chainloaded bootloaders can use to
get http and such.  My goal is a sort of 'ielilo' reminiscent of 'ipxelinux'
in 'legacy' land.  The biggest question I have to date would be if the
uninstall of the protocol should happen where it does, or move to efi_init
like the nic shutdown code did when Itay modified it...

Hopefully I'll have something workable for review by end of day (need to
port over Geoff's cmdline construction which includes populating a handle
that is needed to keep elilo from hanging like it does with ipxe today).

My next step would be an 'ipxefs' in elilo code to create a filesystem
'protocol' over the ipxe protocol in the same way 'netfs' constructs one
over pxe base code.  I briefly contemplated whether it would be possible to
implement netfs protocols and elilo would 'just use it' without code change
or even recompile, but decided that could be a bad idea even if possible.