[ipxe-devel] Fwd: Re: iPXE working on 486(386?) hardware, hanging on init_librm

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Wed Feb 9 14:06:48 UTC 2022

On Wed, Feb 09, 2022 at 10:49:56AM +0000, Richard Moore wrote:
> On 2022-02-02 14:36, Michael Brown wrote:
> > On 30/01/2022 22:03, Nikolai Zhubr wrote:
> > > For iPXE this fix is unnecessary but still last time I tried iPXE
> > > would hang on 486 for some reason.
> >
> > At least one part of this problem should now be fixed:
> >
> >  https://github.com/ipxe/ipxe/commit/bc35b24e3
> >
> > This was a fun problem to debug!
> >
> > Michael
>
> Many thanks for doing all that Michael - it is getting a lot further on
> real 486 but halting with what looks like invalid opcode (INT6) when it
> calls most functions [at script execution part] e.g. 'echo' is ok but
> 'sleep' is not.
>
> I have fiddled around with various debugging options and managed to get
> a stackdump (screenshot attached);
>
> Please let me know if there is anything constructive I can do to help
> provide any further info?

Yes:
* Start a fresh email thread
* Give it a matching Subject line
* Like "i486 stumbles on INT6, drops to shell"
* Link http://lists.ipxe.org/pipermail/ipxe-devel/attachments/20220209/72374e7b/attachment-0001.jpg
* Provide text of that "OOPS", to distinct 0,8 and 6 characters
* Reread https://lists.ipxe.org/pipermail/ipxe-devel/2022-February/007497.html
* Reproduce the INT6 on "bochs" or state that the INT6 is not triggered
  in "bochs" ( https://bochs.sourceforge.io/ )
* Chase the challenge and report about it

> Cheers
> Rich

Enjoy converting the energy this email trigger into something good.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
Silence is hard to parse