[ipxe-devel] A couple of compile issues

Michael Brown mcb30 at ipxe.org
Thu Jun 17 12:50:42 UTC 2021

On 17/06/2021 11:36, Dean Westhead wrote:
> Is it still necessary to make these mods or is the ability to build a
> single ISO that will boot EFI and non EFI machines now part of the
> master branch ?

This is now present in the master branch.

You can build an EFI .iso in what is hopefully the most intuitive way:

   make bin-x86_64-efi/ipxe.iso

The build syntax doesn't provide a way to express multi-platform .iso
images, but you can build them in two stages using e.g.:

   make bin/ipxe.lkrn bin-x86_64-efi/ipxe.efi
   ./util/genfsimg -o combined.iso bin/ipxe.lkrn bin-x86_64-efi/ipxe.efi

It will correctly handle multiple CPU architectures, so you build a
single .iso that works on x86 BIOS, i386 UEFI, x86_64 UEFI, arm64 UEFI, etc.

> Even with a clean download ( before any of my messing about with it ! ),
> i am getting compile errors with a basic make :
>
> ar: creating bin/blib.a
> objcopy: invalid option -- 'D'

This is a known issue introduced just a few days ago by commit
https://github.com/ipxe/ipxe/commit/bf4ccd426

I'm looking into a fix now.

Thanks,