[ipxe-devel] A couple of compile issues

Dean Westhead dean at westhead.net
Thu Jun 17 10:36:55 UTC 2021

Hi,

This is probably me doing something very stupid but ....

I always build an ISO file that we use for booting iPXE on both EFI and non EFI machines.

I usually download the current master branch and then modify the code using a very old stale branch for adding EFI boot support.

All has been fine and there are no issues when I last did this on 23rd December last year ( 2020 ).

I have just downloaded the current master and went to do the same mods again only to find that the files have changed so the markers I have always been looking for to insert and remove code are either different or not there at all now.

So I have a couple of questions ....

Is it still necessary to make these mods or is the ability to build a single ISO that will boot EFI and non EFI machines now part of the master branch ?

And ...

Even with a clean download ( before any of my messing about with it ! ), i am getting compile errors with a basic make :

ar: creating bin/blib.a
objcopy: invalid option -- 'D'
.
.
.
.
objcopy: supported targets: elf64-x86-64 elf32-i386 elf32-x86-64 a.out-i386-linux pei-i386 pei-x86-64 elf64-l1om elf64-k1om elf64-little elf64-big elf32-little elf32-big plugin srec symbolsrec verilog tekhex binary ihex
make: *** [bin/blib.a] Error 1
make: *** Deleting file `bin/blib.a'

Again, this might be something that I need to change/update as the machine I am doing it on is also quite old now ... just after some advice on what this is trying to tell me !

Thanks.

Dean.