[ipxe-devel] Custom syslog port

Michael Schaller misch at google.com
Wed Nov 18 11:46:22 UTC 2020

Geert, I think you have a point here. Let me try to answer that as well...

My motivation for this mail thread was to test the waters if this is a
valid feature request before I actually spend too much time
implementing it.
My expectations were to have a good discussion whether this feature
request makes sense and on how this could be implemented, particularly
the needed change/addition to iPXE settings. Michael does a good job
so far on that front. ;-)
I didn't expect that anyone would do the work for me though, however
that would be very welcome. ;-)

Michael, a syslog URI sounds like a good idea to me.

I'm not aware of any RFC other than
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-lear-ietf-syslog-uri-00, which
proposes a rather odd URI syntax IMHO.
Others seem to use URIs like `[tcp/udp]://host:port` or they have
their own schemes.
I personally find a standard URI more idiomatic and it looks like this
could be nicely handled by `uribase`, which is currently an open iPXE
pull request: https://github.com/ipxe/ipxe/pull/114

URI examples:
* https://www.netiq.com/documentation/securelogin-88/installation_guide/data/b1hxlq7p.html
* https://docs.newrelic.com/docs/logs/enable-log-management-new-relic/enable-log-monitoring-new-relic/forward-your-logs-using-infrastructure-agent