[ipxe-devel] Custom syslog port

Michael Brown mcb30 at ipxe.org
Thu Nov 12 12:38:49 UTC 2020

On 12/11/2020 11:46, Michael Schaller wrote:
> We use a central syslog service that provides syslog endpoints on a
> per-host basis with a random port per endpoint.
>
> How hard would it be to add an iPXE setting that allows to configure the
> syslog port?
> Something like `set syslog-port PORT` or `set syslog IP:PORT` would work
> for us.

The ${syslog} setting is an IPv4 address (with roots in the fact that it
can be provided via DHCP option 7, in the form of an IPv4 address).
There is an equivalent ${syslog6} setting for IPv6.

Any particular reason why the central syslog service needs to use
separate ports per host?  As an RFC-defined protocol, syslog expects to
receive messages from multiple hosts anyway, and every syslog
implementation I've seen has the ability to utilise the remote host
address in onward routing.

It wouldn't be a big code change to allow a custom port to be specified,
but I'd want to be convinced that it was necessary.

Thanks,