[ipxe-devel] iPXE and booting ISOs over the network

IT1 Stuart Blake Tener, USNR stuart.tener at bh90210.net
Fri Jun 12 16:16:42 UTC 2020

  Adam,

Perhaps I was a bit inarticulate there, when I said "they are so
useless", I meant the answers not the people. However, having read
over what I said I surely can see how the inference you drew was taken
from that. An email list in my view is far better given each answer is
individual and replied to in order and must be read and thought about.

Your reply does raise a few good points that I did not speak to in my
question, so I will clarify and amplify my concerns in pursuance of
everyone understanding my goals.

1. In general I think whatever solution that I craft should be
functional for BIOS booting for now, UEFI I will address later once I
have a BIOS based solution working. Granted, perhaps knowing I would
do that would be useful to assure I do not go down any rabbit holes
that will cause a future UEFI solution to mean major redesigns of what
I do now.

2. I do understand the difference between PXE (a standard) and iPXE
(software). I realize that PXE has no ability to boot ISOs directly
(please do correct me if I am wrong). Initially I was thinking to boot
iPXE via a USB stick, but I like the idea of starting out being able
to PXE boot iPXE, that is far better. In fact, several servers I have
(IBM x3650s) have difficulty booting certain types of USB sticks
(depending as best I understand it on if the USB stick's internal
firmware presents the USB stick as a hard drive, floppy or CD-ROM).
Thus, to PXE boot iPXE I think is really the best choice for me.

If may also ask, what are the differences, advantages and
disadvantages of booting via memdisk vs sanboot?

Any recommended reading on each that you can offer I will surely go
and read up on.

3. So, I am interested in being able to boot ISOs, though I do realize
copying them into directories and such is what many people do.
However, for me, I prefer to be able to just pull updated ISOs, toss
them in a directory and have a manner for a menu to be generated
offering the option of booting any one of say 5 or whatever ISOs in
that directory.

4. I do like Debian and dnsmasq, but I had a lot of trouble finding
any really good documents (other than the man pages, which I believe
are not all that clear as to how to use dnsmasq). Granted, that said,
I am happy to learn and make use of dnsmasq.

So, let me see if I get what I should be looking to build so far:

Phase 1 testing

5. A virtual machine running debian that has dnsmasq and tftp
installed. In order to PXE boot iPXE from this system, I would need to
use the directory method to copy all the files off of the iPXE ISO to
achieve this?

6. A second virtual machine that will be the system to be booted via
PXE/iPXE. I could also just feed this VM the iPXE ISO also I realize,
though PXE booting iPXE is the more clever and interesting solution to
me.

  Thank you to everyone on the list and stay safe from looting thugs
and healthy from the pandemic.

Very Respectfully,

Stuart