[ipxe-devel] appnote/debian_preseed instructions are wrong

Michael Brown mcb30 at ipxe.org
Wed Aug 12 11:30:19 UTC 2020

On 12/08/2020 08:50, Etienne Champetier wrote:
>>> The automagical construction of CPIO archives is indeed for legacy BIOS
>>> only.  On UEFI, we provide the kernel with a virtual filesystem from
>>> which it can load arbitrary files without needing a CPIO wrapper.
>
> Do you have a working exemple (maybe I need a special path) ?
> Does it need a recent kernel ? (I think I did my tests with CentOS 7 kernel)
> Does it need a specific ipxe compile option ?

No specific iPXE compile option.  Any kernel built with CONFIG_EFI_STUB
should work, which includes all current distro kernels as far as I know.

Any image downloaded by iPXE will be available within the virtual
filesystem using the filename as shown by "imgstat".  Linux can access
these files using the initrd= kernel command-line argument.

In the most simple example, something like:

   #!ipxe
   kernel http://boot.ipxe.org/demo/vmlinuz initrd=initrd.img
   initrd http://boot.ipxe.org/demo/initrd.img
   boot

 From memory, the initrd= option supports a comma-separated list.  I
can't immediately find documentation to support this, though.