[ipxe-devel] appnote/debian_preseed instructions are wrong

Etienne Champetier champetier.etienne at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 07:50:06 UTC 2020

Hi Michael,

Le lun. 3 août 2020 à 15:00, Etienne Champetier
<champetier.etienne at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hi Michael
>
> Le lun. 3 août 2020 à 14:30, Michael Brown <mcb30 at ipxe.org> a écrit :
> >
> > On 03/08/2020 12:03, Robin Smidsrød wrote:
> > > I seem to recall that this initrd/cpio magic described in the document
> > > only works on legacy BIOS, not EFI.
> >
> > The automagical construction of CPIO archives is indeed for legacy BIOS
> > only.  On UEFI, we provide the kernel with a virtual filesystem from
> > which it can load arbitrary files without needing a CPIO wrapper.

Do you have a working exemple (maybe I need a special path) ?
Does it need a recent kernel ? (I think I did my tests with CentOS 7 kernel)
Does it need a specific ipxe compile option ?

Creating a cpio file is 1 more hack that I would be happy to remove ;)

Thanks in advance
Etienne