[ipxe-devel] IPXE HTTP boot instead of TFTP boot files

Michael Brown mcb30 at ipxe.org
Sat Apr 11 09:39:01 UTC 2020

On 05/04/2020 03:35, Eric Lochtefeld wrote:
> If I change where the filename says "ipxe.efi" , "undionly.kpxe" & "
> menu.ipxe " to a HTTP address, like below, it still try's to connect via
> TFTP.
>
> if exists user-class and option user-class = "iPXE" {
> filename "http://192.168.65.3/menu.ipxe";
> } else if option client-arch != 00:00 {
> filename "http://192.168.65.3/ipxe.efi";
> } else {
> filename "http://192.168.65.3/undionly.kpxe";
> }
> }
>
> What am I'm I doing wrong ?

The first of those (http://192.168.65.3/menu.ipxe) will work fine since
that will be fetched by iPXE, and iPXE understands HTTP URLs.

The other two entries are to be fetched by the BIOS, which doesn't
usually understand HTTP URLs provided by DHCP.

Some UEFI BIOSes include support for very basic HTTP booting; you will
almost always have to configure this manually via the BIOS setup screen.
  There is some documentation at https://ipxe.org/appnote/uefihttp

Hope that helps,