[ipxe-devel] IPXE HTTP boot instead of TFTP boot files

Eric Lochtefeld elochtefeld38 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 02:35:27 UTC 2020

Hello iPXE Team,

I have a general question regarding how to use HTTP booting for the boot
files (undionly.kpxe & ipxe.efi) instead of using TFTP.

I'm using ISC-DHCP-Server handle all the DHCP request, boot files,
menu.ipxe... ect..

I'm using this configuration currently, and it's working great:

subnet 192.168.65.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
authoritative;
range 192.168.65.10 192.168.65.200;
default-lease-time 21600;
max-lease-time 43200;
option domain-name-servers 192.168.65.1;
option routers 192.168.65.1;
next-server 192.168.65.3;

if exists user-class and option user-class = "iPXE" {
filename "menu.ipxe";
} else if option client-arch != 00:00 {
filename "ipxe.efi";
} else {
filename "undionly.kpxe";
}
}

If I change where the filename says  "ipxe.efi" , "undionly.kpxe" & "
menu.ipxe " to a HTTP address, like below, it still try's to connect via
TFTP.

if exists user-class and option user-class = "iPXE" {
filename "http://192.168.65.3/menu.ipxe";
} else if option client-arch != 00:00 {
filename "http://192.168.65.3/ipxe.efi";
} else {