[ipxe-devel] squashfs and UEFI

Christian Nilsson nikize at gmail.com
Thu May 30 19:57:41 UTC 2019

On Thu, 30 May 2019 at 21:50, Ricky Denny John (Data Center) <
ricky.john at flipkart.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am unable to liveboot using squashfs and UEFI enabled. In CSM
> configuration, I have enabled the boot option to UEFI and BIOS. The network
> is also set to support UEFI mode.
>
> [image: image.png]
>
> I use iPXE for network booting with a squashfs filesystem. I am using
> squashfs because I do not want anything to write/overwrite the disk. There
> could be production data that I cannot afford to be overwrite.
>
> PXE config file looks like this. I can see that the file is getting served
> by the dhcp server
>
> #!ipxe
> kernel http://10.48.0.3/images/debian-9/live/vmlinuz
> initrd http://10.48.0.3/images/debian-9/live/initrd.img
> imgargs vmlinuz boot=live config locales=en_US.UTF-8 username=iaas
> hostname=live noprompt fetch=
> http://10.48.0.3/images/debian-9/live/filesystem.squashfs
> mgag200.modeset=0 ethdevice-timeout=60 netconsole= +@/,514@/10.47.255.11/
> startup_script=
> http://10.48.0.3/images/debian-9/scripts/live-startup-script.sh
> boot || goto failed
>

> While I PXE boot, the kernel and initrd file are being fetched. I do not
> see the squashfs file being fetched in UEFI boot. In legacy boot, it works
> just fine. Are there additional parameters that needs to be passed in case
> of UEFI boot.
>
> Thanks in advance for your support.
>
> Regards,
> Ricky

In efi mode you have to tell the kernel which files it should load as
initrds from "efifs"
In this case modify your iPXE script and add initrd=initrd.img to your
imgargs line
You should have seen your initrd being fetched in the http logs in efi as
well, but the actual error from the linux part might have helped you
finding the solution to this - and as a rule of thumb, _always_ post the
actual error message you are seeing.

This is mentioned in the forum FAQ at
http://forum.ipxe.org/showthread.php?tid=5948&pid=19101#pid19101 and many
other places