[ipxe-devel] squashfs and UEFI

Ricky Denny John (Data Center) ricky.john at flipkart.com
Tue May 28 08:50:09 UTC 2019

Hi,

I am unable to liveboot using squashfs and UEFI enabled. In CSM
configuration, I have enabled the boot option to UEFI and BIOS. The network
is also set to support UEFI mode.

[image: image.png]

I use iPXE for network booting with a squashfs filesystem. I am using
squashfs because I do not want anything to write/overwrite the disk. There
could be production data that I cannot afford to be overwrite.

PXE config file looks like this. I can see that the file is getting served
by the dhcp server

#!ipxe
kernel http://10.48.0.3/images/debian-9/live/vmlinuz
initrd http://10.48.0.3/images/debian-9/live/initrd.img
imgargs vmlinuz boot=live config locales=en_US.UTF-8 username=iaas
hostname=live noprompt fetch=
http://10.48.0.3/images/debian-9/live/filesystem.squashfs mgag200.modeset=0
ethdevice-timeout=60 netconsole= +@/,514@/10.47.255.11/ startup_script=
http://10.48.0.3/images/debian-9/scripts/live-startup-script.sh
boot || goto failed

While I PXE boot, the kernel and initrd file are being fetched. I do not
see the squashfs file being fetched in UEFI boot. In legacy boot, it works
just fine. Are there additional parameters that needs to be passed in case
of UEFI boot.

Thanks in advance for your support.

Regards,
Ricky