[ipxe-devel] Debian installer does load preseed

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Sun Mar 31 21:10:02 UTC 2019

On Sun, Mar 31, 2019 at 03:05:28PM +0200, Ghassan Elrayah wrote:
> On 3/30/19 8:09 PM, Ghassan Elrayah wrote:
> >
> I finally could install debian buster fully unattended by using the
> following Kernel arguments:
>
> :d10-dc-node
> set base-url
> https://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/amd64/daily/netboot/debian-installer/amd64
> kernel ${base-url}/linux
> initrd ${base-url}/initrd.gz
> initrd tftp://ipxe01.server.lej.sprd.net/preseed/debian_buster_node.seed
> /tmp/debian_buster_node.seed
> imgargs linux auto vga=normal root=/dev/ram rw
> file=/tmp/debian_buster_node.seed interface=eno1 fb=false
> debian-installer=en_US.UTF-8 locale=en_US.UTF-8 kbd-chooser/method=us
> auto-install/enable=true debconf/frontend=noninteractive priority=critical
> console-setup/ask_detect=false keyboard-configuration/xkb-keymap=us
> keyboard-configuration/modelcode=pc105 keyboard-configuration/layoutcode=us
> keyboard-configuration/variant=USA ---
> boot
>
> Network configuration and hostname will be set with DHCP.
>
> Thanks every body for helping me out.

You are welcome.

Below a rewrite of the above "this works for me". My mailer doesn't do auto line wrapper.  ( It does, but I can overrule it ;-)

---8<---8<---
#!ipxe

set base-url https://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/amd64/daily/netboot/debian-installer/amd64

kernel ${base-url}/linux auto vga=normal root=/dev/ram rw file=/tmp/debian_buster_node.seed interface=eno1 fb=false debian-installer=en_US.UTF-8 locale=en_US.UTF-8 kbd-chooser/method=us auto-install/enable=true debconf/frontend=noninteractive priority=critical console-setup/ask_detect=false keyboard-configuration/xkb-keymap=us keyboard-configuration/modelcode=pc105 keyboard-configuration/layoutcode=us keyboard-configuration/variant=USA ---

initrd ${base-url}/initrd.gz
initrd tftp://ipxe01.server.lej.sprd.net/preseed/debian_buster_node.seed /tmp/debian_buster_node.seed

boot
---8<---8<---

The important change is not using 'imgargs'.
Quoting https://ipxe.org/cmd/imgargs

| Set command-line arguments to be passed to the specified image.
|
| This is an obsolete command that is included only for backwards
| compatibility with existing scripts. You can set the command-line
| arguments when you download the image using the chain, imgfetch, or
| kernel commands.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--