[ipxe-devel] Issues with HTTP/HTTPS using Ryzen 3000 series

Michael Brown mcb30 at ipxe.org
Thu Aug 15 17:08:03 UTC 2019

On 15/08/2019 15:09, Tom Siewert wrote:
> currently, I have some issues with HTTPS using Ryzen 3000 series systems.
> My test system has a Ryzen 3600 (also tried to use a 3850X) and an ASRock
> B450 board with 64GB ECC RAM and 2x 1TB NVMe.
> The error 1c25e0c82 (Invalid argument) gets thrown by iPXE becuase of
> entropy issues.

Try forcibly disabling the use of the platform's EFI_RNG_PROTOCOL, e.g.
by editing interface/efi_entropy.c to comment out the line

   EFI_REQUEST_PROTOCOL ( EFI_RNG_PROTOCOL, &efirng );

This will force the entropy gathering code to fall back to using timer
interrupt beating as the mechanism for generating entropy.

If this fixes the 1c25e082 error, then we should add the capability to
detect a broken EFI_RNG_PROTOCOL (e.g. by using the existing entropy
source quality test code) and automatically fall back to using the timer
instead.