[ipxe-devel] Howto boot from a non-pxe nic?

Geert Stappers geert.stappers at hendrikx-itc.nl
Mon Nov 26 08:54:35 UTC 2018

On Sun, Nov 25, 2018 at 07:47:16PM +0100, Oliver Rath wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I have a PC with 3 Nics,
>
> one builtin realtek,
> one intel pcie-card
> one 10GbE Delock NIC (Tehuti TN40xx Chipset) *without any PXE-funktionality*
>
> Booting from intel works fine. Now I wanted to boot from the 10gbe via
> ipxe.usb from an usb-Stick.
>
> Unfortuntatly the ixpe-tools only finds the other NICs,
> but not the Delock one.
>
> Is there a possibility to force the Delock-Card (via ipxe.usb)?

Not force, but source.  As in "Use the source Luke".

The problem of the Original Poster is having hardware
that isn't yet supported by iPXE.
And O.P. is not aware that iPXE uses drivers from Linux. [1]

What O.P. needs to do:
 * Boot into Linux
 * Find PCI ID of the 10GB NIC and which driver it uses
 * Combine Linux source and iPXE source
 * Do further enginering [2]
 * Send a patch to this nice Open Source project

Cheers
Geert Stappers

[1] The same idea as https://www.linuxboot.org/
[2] If it was easy  would everbody do it