[ipxe-devel] delay on connection to ISCSI (double connection establishment)

Michael Brown mcb30 at ipxe.org
Sat Jan 13 21:41:41 UTC 2018

On 13/01/18 09:42, Armin Ranjbar wrote:
> having a very strange problem here, it appears that connection is
> established twice to iscsi and at some phases, it takes a long time.
>
> log: http://pastecode.org/index.php/view/23465877
> script: http://pastecode.org/index.php/view/80532914
>
> now, two things:
>
> * looking at the log, there is 20 seconds delay after "Entering Security
> negotiation" and "Entering Operational negotiation".
> and
> * connection is established again after writing ibft and before starting PE.
>
> also it worth noting that
> /sys/kernel/config/target/iscsi/iqn.2003-01.org.linux-iscsi.vdi.x8664:sn.e5d7a4882dbf/fabric_statistics/iscsi_login_stats/accepts
> returns 2 after each boot, means that Ipxe in fact tried two times to login.

The timing is not visible from the log (as far as I can see), so I can't
tell where your delay is actually occurring.

The WinPE kernel boot sequence will access the iSCSI drive at various
points.  It often does so after an idle period that is long enough for
most targets to have already forcibly disconnected the initiator.  This
is probably responsible for the multiple connections that you are seeing.