[ipxe-devel] sanboot or exit under UEFI

Christian Nilsson nikize at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 16:57:48 UTC 2018

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 1:49 PM, Sanjay Agrawal <agraws at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure if anybody has reported, but the sanboot --drive 0x80 or exit
> or exit 1 doesn't relinquish the control to local disk or next boot device
> in UEFI mode.
>
> I have tried this on both Dell and HP skylake servers. it woks perfectly
> fine in BIOS mode. Both models are running the latest firmware.
>
> Any pointers will be a great help.
>
> thanks,
> sanjay

iPXE can only "exit" and then it's up to the EFI firmware to do the
right thing. exit 1 in EFI mode is working for most people as that
returns "error" to the firmware and it then boots the next boot
device.
sanboot --drive 0x80 --no-describe as described on
http://ipxe.org/cmd/sanboot#examples has some reported issues, this is
due to the fact that iPXE only has support for "boot standard from
device X" and in EFI I think that means try to find default named efi
file on the first disk (in the case of 0x80) and then tell firmware to
boot that.

Hope that helps clarifying how it works.

So for exit 1, check that next boot device is configured as expected
in firmware, and if that is not working provide more information what
is going on.
for sanboot, verify that you have --no-describe on that line, and that
the disk in question has a efi boot on it.

/Christian