[ipxe-devel] #define KEYBOARD_MAP fi does not work

Joakim Tjernlund Joakim.Tjernlund at infinera.com
Wed Feb 7 22:42:28 UTC 2018

On Wed, 2018-02-07 at 21:58 +0100, Christian Nilsson wrote:
> CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.
>

> On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 7:46 PM, Joakim Tjernlund
> <Joakim.Tjernlund at infinera.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2018-02-07 at 18:41 +0000, Michael Brown wrote:
> > > CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

> > > Great!

> > > The BIOS almost certainly does not understand the AltGr key, which means
> > > that by the time the keyboard data reaches iPXE that information has
> > > already been discarded.
> >
> > OK. but ><åäö probably more are not on AltGr and these are not mapped either.
>
> If there is no ASCII code to use then it can't be converted to anything
> The <>| key is not present on a US keyboard at all.

There is, how else would you type the 3 different symbols >,< and | ?

> : should map to ö
> " to ä
> { to å

No, ä should map to ä, not to waht a US keyboard thinks it should be
when I have told ipxe I am using a swedish/finnish one.

> bios_console.c seems to be lacking any good DBG lines to show what it
> detects and what it translates to.
>
> But as a Swede myself I must ask why you would like to have Swedish
> layout in iPXE - I have never found the need for it and think it is
> just more confusing at that stage of booting.

I and my coworkes really like it if the symbol on the key matches what ipxe
receives. Searching for a symbol by semi randomly hitting the keyboard is not
my cup of tea, not when it can be avoided.

 Jocke