[ipxe-devel] Wimboot: Lang selection through parameters?

Christian Nilsson nikize at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 10:21:44 UTC 2017

On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 11:11 AM, Melkor Lord <melkor.lord at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm happily using wimboot for a Windows deployment system and it works
> like a charm!
>
> As I have to deal with more than one language, I managed to add
> language-packs to the Windows distribution and, with the help of an
> unattended XML file, deploy Windows with the correct language selection.
>
> The only remaining issue is with "boot.wim"! Even though it features multi
> languages support through language-packs, I can't figure a way to
> dynamically choose the language when it kicks up.
>
> Across the internet, there are only solutions that involve hardcoding the
> language value via the DISM command, which, of course, breaks the dynamic
> part of the process.
>
> Is there a way to pass some boot arguments to wimboot forcing "boot.wim"
> to use that special language?

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't each language added as a separate index
in boot.wim?
So adding index=x to the wimboot cmdline where x represents the index of
your preferred language should be an option.
If it does not use different indexes then I guess it is an option that you
give via BCD, so having one BCD file for each language is probably the fix
you would want in that case.

But I must ask, which parts of boot.wim do you actually need to have
language specific?
I would suggest having boot.wim in English and when setup.exe kicks in it
will give you the language specified in unattended anyway?

/Christian