[ipxe-devel] iPXE: Coloring of debug output

Michael Brown mcb30 at ipxe.org
Tue Dec 5 00:20:44 UTC 2017

On 04/12/17 17:15, Heinrich Schuchardt wrote:
> the colors used by iPXE seem to depend on random addresses:
>
> interface/efi/efi_wrap.c:47:#define colour &efi_systab_wrapper
> interface/efi/efi_timer.c:53:#define colour &efi_jiffies
> arch/x86/core/runtime.c:84:#define colour &cmdline_image
> arch/x86/core/cachedhcp.c:48:#define colour &cached_dhcpack_phys
> arch/x86/core/rdtsc_timer.c:57:#define colour &tsc_per_us
>
> The actual colors did not help me to better understand the output.
>
> Wouldn't it be preferable to use the severity of the message for color
> coding?

Colourised messages in iPXE are used only for debugging, not for end
user error reporting.

The colours are intended to allow for quick visual separation of
multiple debug streams.  For example, if you have DEBUG=tcp:3 with two
TCP connections open, then one colour will be assigned to each TCP
connection.

The actual assignment is performed by an LRU cache in dbg_autocolour(),
using whatever "colour key" was specified as the first argument to
DBGC() as a disambiguator between debug streams.  In the common case
that there are six or fewer concurrent debug streams, the logic ensures
that each stream will be assigned a unique colour that remains
consistent over time.