[ipxe-devel] custom dhcp client_id option

Maule Mark mark_maule at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 12 16:08:30 UTC 2016

Yea, they use client-identifier a lot, but I don't see that they ever say what the id should be, only that it is unique on the subnet.  Since in the general case a system might want to have independent ipaddr's from the same subnet assigned to dhcp clients running per-port, wouldn't that mean we need in general for the client id to be unique per port (with the ability to override in special case instances)?
On a separate note, is it even required that the client identifier for the purposes of address assignment come from DHCP option 61?  The pxe spec seems to use the ambiguous "DHCP option tags" terminology, implying that maybe it is the dhcp server that should be configurable.
I think in the short term, for my application, I'm going to modify dnsmasq to prefer option 97 as the client id if it is present, and wait for the dust to settle in iPXE.