[ipxe-devel] custom dhcp client_id option

Michael Brown mcb30 at ipxe.org
Tue Apr 12 14:42:18 UTC 2016

On 12/04/16 15:29, Maule Mark wrote:
> But wouldn't that cause issues in the general case?  If all of the IB
> ports will then carry the same client_id, then you can only use dhcp to
> assign an ipaddr to one of them (in the general case).

The client hardware address (chaddr) will still be unique.

RFC2132 states that the "client-identifier MUST be unique among the
client-identifiers used on the subnet to which the client is attached",
but doesn't seem to state anywhere whether this is unique per client or
unique per client port.

The PXE spec does mandate that option 61 contains the system UUID.  The
only reason we didn't previously comply with this was for the sake of
IPoIB, where the 20-byte MAC address is too large to fit into the DHCP
chaddr field.  As far as I can tell, this is no longer relevant since
the switch to eIPoIB.