[ipxe-devel] win10 bootmgr

Earl Chew earl_chew at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 14 22:59:11 UTC 2015

On 14/10/2015 03:16, Michael Brown wrote:
> It should, however, be redundant functionality now that wimboot can
> extract bootmgr.exe directly from the .wim file.  The current
> instructions on http://ipxe.org/wimboot and http://ipxe.org/howto/winpe
> omit the "initrd bootmgr bootmgr" line.
>
> Does Win10 work for you with the unmodified wimboot if you simply omit
> the "initrd bootmgr bootmgr" line?

Perhaps some background is required. I stumbled across wimboot in the
context of trying to boot Win10 on a legacy BIOS GPT system:

http://reboot.pro/topic/19970-grub2-wimboot-windows-setup/?p=186399

Here GRUB chains to wimboot while supplying an initrd with
bootmgr/bootmgr.exe and BCD. Once wimboot does its thing, Win10 boots
from the GPT partition.

Earl