[ipxe-devel] multiple initrd/imgfetch in UEFI mode

Michael Brown mcb30 at ipxe.org
Fri Oct 9 13:27:13 UTC 2015

On 09/10/15 12:45, SIMON, BERTRAND wrote:
> I'm trying to upload multiple files from my iPXE script to get them
> during initrd.
> It works fine in legacy mode, but I not in UEFI mode.
> [code]#!ipxe
>    kernel http://my.web.server/boot/vmlinuz initrd=initrd.img
>    initrd http://my.web.server/boot/initrd.img
>    initrd http://my.web.server/boot/test.txt  /tmp/test.txt
>    boot
> [/code]
> The file test.txt is correctly loaded (I have done an imgstat after the
> load) but cannot be found under /tmp (neither anywhere) during the
> initrd phase. It works fine in legacy mode ...
> Any advices ?
> Note: It took me time to find that the kernel option initrd=<file> is
> *compulsory* in UEFI mode (not in legacy)

(Already discussing on IRC, but replying here also for the record:)

You can specify multiple initrd= parameters on the kernel command line.
  However, the files must already be CPIO archives; there is no
functionality within the kernel EFI stub to handle raw files (in the way
that iPXE will construct the CPIO header for you under BIOS).