[ipxe-devel] Compilation error since git pull

Michael Brown mcb30 at ipxe.org
Tue Mar 17 08:36:22 UTC 2015

On 17/03/15 07:44, Patrick Agrain wrote:
> A week ago, I've made a 'git pull' on my ipxe repository. Since that
> time the igb driver that I added several weeks ago (and successfully
> compiled and tested on a Mohon Peak CRB) does not compile anymore with
> following error:
> <snip>
>    [BUILD] bin/igb_82575.o
>    [BUILD] bin/igb_api.o
>    [BUILD] bin/igb.o
> /tmp/cc9m9Wi1.s: Assembler messages:
> /tmp/cc9m9Wi1.s:12: Error: invalid offset expression
> /tmp/cc9m9Wi1.s:11: Error: invalid offset expression
> make: *** [bin/igb.o] Error 1
> make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
> [root at localhost src]#

My guess is that you are using the REQUIRE_SYMBOL() macro.  The usage of
this macro changed to address an issue with current versions of binutils:

   http://git.ipxe.org/ipxe.git/commitdiff/fbc4ba4

All code in the tree was fixed up to meet the new usage requirements:
you should be able to figure out the required fix from looking at the
changes in that commit.

However, an even simpler fix should be to just add the relevant
PCI_ROM() line to drivers/net/intel.c, which already supports the igb NIC.