[ipxe-devel] Realtek 8111/8168b

Michael Brown mcb30 at ipxe.org
Tue Apr 28 09:39:45 UTC 2015

On 27/04/15 18:13, Christian Stroehmeier wrote:
> I have a different issue with this exact same chip. realtek.kpxe works
> just fine, but my task is to migrate the existing infrastructure from
> PXE to iPXE and I intended to use undionly.kpxe for that so I do not
> have to care about different hardware. The problem is, this NIC does not
> like undionly.kpxe. It gets stuck at "iPXE initialising devices...". I
> narrowed it down to some assembler code in the function pxeparent_call
> in src/arch/i386/interface/pxeparent/pxeparent.c
> If I remove this assembler code I can continue, but I figured the code
> is there for a reason and I might break other hardware - every other NIC
> I tried worked so far with that code intact.

Unfortunately that's the code which actually calls the underlying PXE
stack.  Removing it will leave you with an undionly.kpxe binary which
basically does nothing.

You could try undionly.kkpxe (which unloads less of the underlying stack
before attempting to use it) or you could try ipxe.pxe (which includes
all of the iPXE native drivers and so should work on all supported
hardware).

> I should note that I
> am chainloading from pxelinux, and that I embedded Robin's
> bootstrap-script as well as a chain of trust certificates.

For a start, you should simplify your test environment as much as
possible.  Build an iPXE binary with no embedded script, certificates,
etc., with the standard configuration.  Load it directly from the PXE
ROM, bypassing pxelinux.