[ipxe-devel] Cannot boot from wire or usb, hangs on initializing devices.

Robin Smidsrød robin at smidsrod.no
Sun Apr 26 07:41:27 UTC 2015

On 25.02.2015 12:18, Cory Landry wrote:
> Wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on an issue I'm having.
> When I try to boot a Dell Inspiron 1121 which has a Atheros AR8132 it
> hangs on initializing devices.

>From what I can see from the output of util/niclist.pl the Atheros
AR8132 device is not supported by any built-in driver. Your only option
is to use the UNDI driver (undionly.kpxe) using chainloading. The UNDI
driver only works when used via chainloading. It is unusable when loaded
via ipxe.usb. See http://ipxe.org/howto/chainloading for information on
how to set up a chainloading DHCP/TFTP environment.

-- Robin