[ipxe-devel] iPXE Question - Used with Auto Deploy

Michael Brown mcb30 at ipxe.org
Wed Apr 22 12:57:06 UTC 2015

On 22/04/15 10:39, Austen Simpson wrote:
> Would you be able to help me in finding out if iPXE is able to set a
> vlan id so that when each host loads the boot loader I can ensure the
> host remains on a specific vlan in order to make a https call to a
> deployment server?
>
> I need to ensure that each stage of the build process the host remains
> on the correct vlan to complete the build.
>
> So far I have managed to identify three stages in which I will need to
> stipulate a vlan.
>
> 1.Pxe network boot to dhcp server will be handled in the bios (hp blade
> system)
>
> 2.Once directed to the tftp server where ipxe exists I don’t know how to
> ensure that the host remains on the vlan?????
>
> 3.Here I will be using vmware auto deploy and there are rules that can
> be stipulated here to ensure vlan compliance.

You need to build iPXE with VLAN support enabled.  The easiest way to do
this is to enable the VLAN commands (VLAN_CMD) in config/general.h.

This will give you the commands "vcreate" and "vdestroy", which are
documented with examples at

   http://ipxe.org/cmd/vcreate
   http://ipxe.org/cmd/vdestroy

You can use vcreate to create a VLAN interface from the trunk network
interface, and you can then do whatever you want over this VLAN
interface.  For example:

   #!ipxe
   vcreate --tag 45 net0
   autoboot net0-45