[ipxe-devel] pxe reboot infinite loop

Robin Smidsrød robin at smidsrod.no
Fri Mar 14 12:35:48 UTC 2014

On 14.03.2014 03:10, 吴一帆 wrote:

> hi,ipxe devs:
>
>     thank you for the amazing tools for our automatic installation of thousands servers.
>
>     I use the ipxe to install AIX OS with kickstart file, so i can totally automate my installation for my servers. But after i finished the os installation, the server still boot from network and re-install the os again and again.
>
> So i'm wondering if there is a way from pxe to controll the steps, while the first installation's over, the server can boot from harddisk instead of the network card.

If you want a tool to deal with overall provisioning of servers then you
should look at PuppetLabs Razor. If you're just after something small
that deals exactly with your current issue you could use something
similar to my menu script linked at http://ipxe.org/examples and
customize the installer so that the install override script for the host
is removed after a successful install has been performed. This should
easily be done by letting a server-side CGI script handle the cleanup
process or doing it inside the OS installer itself (or more like after
it's done).

-- Robin