[ipxe-devel] serial arrow keys broken

Ben Hildred 42656e at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 22:24:24 UTC 2014

OK, I have an intel box on the bench and loaded ipxe that was compiled with
both serial and video consoles, and note behaviors

starting with my current version:

show version reorts:
builtin/version:string = 1.0.0+ (2d6d)
there are some patches applied to the local version

echo ${esc:string}[2J  clears the screen both vga and serial, but on the
serial it leaves the prompt on the second line (due to trailing newline)
and on vga it leaves the prompt on the bottom of the screen. fast white on
black.

the login screen is color on vga; no color, some bold on serial does not
draw background so fast.

config and menu are color on vga; no color some bold on serial and draw the
background on both so slow,

arrow keys and paste from serial do not work as documented.

Now grabbing and merging today's git:
>From git://git.ipxe.org/ipxe
   93acb5d..d644ad4  master     -> origin/master

show version now reports:
builtin/version:string = 1.0.0+ (e97ca)

Arrow keys now work, but paste only partialy works upto 16 characters are
ok then garbage.
All other behavior unchanged.

and  just for completeness, recompiling with today's master:
builtin/version:string = 1.0.0+ (d644a)
no other changes, all tests repeated.

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 11:41 AM, Michael Brown <mcb30 at ipxe.org> wrote:

> On 22/04/14 18:07, Ben Hildred wrote:
>
>> yep, the machine I have been testing on does not have bios serial
>> support, and when serial console is compiled in you can watch the cursor
>> flicker over every character on the screen when changing menus, on both
>> the serial port and vga. by the way the background is blue. This does
>> not seem to affect the shell, just the menus.
>>

> Over every character including the empty spaces, or just every non-space
> character?
>
> If it's just the non-space characters then that's expected: the output
> will limit itself to your serial port baud rate and you would need to use a
> faster baud rate to minimise the visible effects.
>
> If it's every character including the spaces, then please try the
> following:
>
>   set esc:hex 1b
>   echo ${esc:string}[2J
>   show version