[ipxe-devel] ipxe config issue or elilo config issue

Peter CZ Peng pengcz at cn.ibm.com
Tue Apr 1 07:42:52 UTC 2014

hi ,Michael

   thanks for you quickly response ,it work now.

    it work with the following change ,here are some different to your
example (remove the initrd option in the kernel line)

[root at desktop8 html]# cat peter.php
#!ipxe
kernel http://172.20.0.1/rh64vmlinuz  imgurl=ftp:rh64rootimg_02262014.gz
panic=20 rdblacklist=nouveau nomodeset
initrd http://172.20.0.1/rh64_02042014_initrd
boot

thanks again for your team's great work in the ipxe project!

             Michael Brown
             <mcb30 at ipxe.org>
             2014/03/31 21:33          Peter CZ Peng/China/IBM at IBMCN,
                                       ipxe-devel at lists.ipxe.org
                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [ipxe-devel] ipxe config issue
                                       or elilo config issue

On 29/03/14 02:14, Peter CZ Peng wrote:
> <snip>
> when I want to translate the booting process to support the *legacy PXE
> machine* ,it failed as following ,I am not sure if ipxe can directly to
> support the rootimg as above example or not ,
> and also ,I do think that is the elilo or ipxe config issue ,can you
> help to pay some time to check with it ,thank

ELILO is an EFI-only boot loader.  It simply won't be able to run in a
non-UEFI BIOS environment.

You can load your kernel and initrd directly from iPXE (ignoring ELILO
completely).  For example:

   #!ipxe
   kernel product/common/ramdisk/rh64vmlinuz \
       initrd=rh64_02042014_initrd \
       imgurl=ftp:product/common/ramdisk/rh64rootimg_02262014.gz \
       panic=20 rdblacklist=nouveau nomodeset
   initrd product/common/ramdisk/rh64_02042014_initrd
   boot

If your kernel was built with CONFIG_EFI_STUB enabled, then this script
will work without modifications for both UEFI and BIOS environments.