[ipxe-devel] menu & serial console

"Ján ONDREJ (SAL)" ondrejj at salstar.sk
Wed Mar 6 14:09:47 UTC 2013

On Wed, Mar 06, 2013 at 01:33:26PM +0000, Michael Brown wrote:
> On 06/03/13 05:33, Ján ONDREJ (SAL) wrote:
> >I have similar problems too. Can you please add ipxe command, which can
> >disable serial console at menu run? If this happens, I still can put some
> >keys from serial or bios console, which can run an predefined command
> >and disable this "feature".
>
> There's no command to do that, but if it helps then you can

Please, consider this as feature request.
My request is to disable serial console at script run time.

> configure the serial console (at build time) to ignore interactive
> output such as menus:
>
>   #define CONSOLE_SERIAL ( CONSOLE_USAGE_STDOUT | CONSOLE_USAGE_DEBUG )

This will not help me.

> >Colours and arrow keys does not work for me too (qemu+ipxe serial).
> >I don't need colours, it's displayed nicely as serial, what is OK for me.
> >But arrow keys would be nice. I use menu's hot keys to navigate against
> >menu, but having other navigation keys keys will be useful.
>
> Arrow keys etc. should all work over the serial console; that's one
> of the main reasons why iPXE internally uses an abstraction of an
> ANSI terminal, even when driving the (extremely non-ANSI) BIOS
> console.  What terminal software are you using to interact with
> qemu's virtual serial port?

I use "virsh console", but looks like it's working well now.
Also colors are nice.

There are less colors using qemu's internal console by pressing "CTRL+ALT-3".
But this may be a qemu problem.

Btw, pressing an wrong key (for example ctrl+2) on VGA console with menus
starting with --gap will move my cursor to "gap" line, which should be
normally not accessible. This is only a small problem.

					SAL